Settings for other e-mail clients:
You have to make
changes in the settings of your e-mail client software to reflect the
new servers and new account name format.
You might have
to choose between POP3 and IMAP message transfer protocols. We suggest
that you leave the option as it was when you started to change the
- SMTP (Outgoing mail) server: asmtp.bilkent.edu.tr
- POP3 (Incoming mail) server: mail.bilkent.edu.tr
- IMAP (Incoming mail) server: mail.bilkent.edu.tr
Both INCOMING and OUTGOING servers must be set to use encrypted connections.
If you are using the
client software when you are outside the Bilkent network, we strongly
recommend you to set the SMTP port value to 587 rather than its default
value of 25. This way you will not experience problems if you are
located on a network which is blocking port 25 traffic to stop
compromised computers sending out spam.
important SMTP parameter is "Authentiction required for sending e-mail"
(though wording could be different)
- Enable "authentication needed" for outgoing mail;"
- use your full e-mail address as the user id; (e.g.
- use the same password you use to read/check your e-mail.