1. Kısa Amme İdaresi Bibliyografyası, 1958 1966. (`A Concise Bibliography of
Public Administration, 1958 1966'). Ankara: Ankara University Publication,
2. Modernleşme ve Bürokrasi: Karşılaştırmalı Kamu Yönetimine Giriş. (`Modernization and Bureaucracy: Introduction to Comparative Public Administration'). Ankara: Turkish Social Sciences Association Publication, 1973.
3. Decision Making in the Middle East Technical University. Ankara: Middle East Technical University Publication, 1973.
4. Bürokratik Yönetim Geleneği: Osmanlı İmparatorluğu ve Türkiye Cumhuriyetinde Gelişimi ve Niteliği. (`Bureaucratic Ruling Tradition in the Ottoman Empire and Turkish Republic'). Ankara: Middle East Technical University Publication, 1974.
5. Türk Kamu Bürokrasisinde Gelenekçilik ve Modernleşme: Siyaset Sosyolojisi Açısından Bir İnceleme. (`Bureaucracy: A Political Sociology Perspective'). Istanbul: Boğaziçi University Publication, 1977.
6. Gecekondu Policy in Turkey: An Evaluation with a Case Study of Rumelihisarüstü Squatter Area in Istanbul. Istanbul: Boğaziçi University Publication, 1978.
7. Development Administration in Turkey: Conceptual Theoryand_Methodology. Istanbul: Boğaziçi University Publication, 1980. With A. Ümit Berkman.
8. Turkey: Past Achievement and Future Prospects. Ankara: Ministry of Foreign Affairs Publication, 1983. Editor and contributor.
9. Türkiye'de Kent Göçmeni ve Bürokratik Örgütler. (`Urban Migrant and Bureaucratic Organizations in Turkey'). Istanbul: Üçdal Matbaası, 1983.
10. Islam and Politics in the Modern Middle East. London and Sydney: Croom Helm, 1984. Co editor and contributor. Co-editor: Israel Raphaeli
11a. The State Tradition in Turkey. Walkington, England: The Eothen Press, 1985.
11b.Türkiye’de Devlet Geleneği. Ankara: Doğu-Batı, 2006
12. Dilemmas of Decentralization: Municipal Government in Turkey. Bonn: Friedrich Ebert Stiftung, 1986. Editor and contributor.
13. Democracy and Local Government: Istanbul in the 1980s. Walkington, England: The Eothen Press, 1987. Editor and contributor.
14. The State and Public Bureaucracies: A Comparative Perspective New York. Westport, Connecticut. London: Greenwood Press, 1987. Editor and contributor.
15. The State, Military and Democracy: Turkey in the 1980s. Berlin and New York: de Gruyter, 1988. Co editor and contributor. Co-editor: Ahmet Evin.
16. Local Government in Turkey: Governing Greater Istanbul. London: Routledge, 1989. Editor and contributor.
17. Political Parties and Democracy in Turkey. London and New York: Tauris, 1991. Co editor and contributor. Co-editor: Jacob Landau.
18. Strong State and Economic Interest Groups: The Post 1980_Turkish Experience. Berlin and New York, Walter de Gruyter, 1991. Editor and contributor.
19. Turkey and the West: Changing Political and Cultural Identities London and New York: I. B. Tauris, 1993. Co editor and contributor. Co-editors: Ayşe Öncü and Heinz Kramer.
20. Politics in the Third Turkish Republic. Boulder, Colorado: Westview Press, 1994. Co editor and contributor. Co-editor: Ahmet Evin.
21a. Historical Dictionary of Turkey. Metuchen, N.J. and London: The Scarerow Press, 1994.
21b Historical Dictionary of Turkey, Second Edition. Lanham, Maryland: Scarecrow Press, 2002.
21d. Historical Dictionary of Turkey, Thirs Edition. Lanham, Maryland: Scarecrow 2009. (With Nur Bilge Criss)
22. Institutions and Democratic Statecraft. Boulder, Colorado: Westview Press, 1997. Co-editor and contributor. Co-editors: Bert Rockman and Ali Kazancıgil.
23a İsmet İnönü: The Making of a Turkish Statesman. Leiden: E. J. Brill, 1998.
23b. İsmet İnönü: Yeni Bir Yorum Denemesi. Çeviren Sermet Yalçın. İstanbul: Tarih Vakfı Yurt Yayınları, 1999.
23c. İsmet İnönü: Yeni Bir Yorum Denemesi. Istanbul. İş Bankası Kültür, 2008.
24a Political Leaders and Democracy in Turkey. (Lanham, Maryland: Lexington Books, 2002). Co-editor. Other co-editor Sabri Sayarı.
24b Türkiye’de Liderler ve Demokrasi (Istanbul: Kitap Yayınları, 2008)
25. Turkish Political Parties (London: Frank Cass, 2002). Co-editor. Other co- editor Barry Rubin
26a The State and the Kurds in Turkey: The Question of Assimilation (Houndsmill, Basingstone, Hampshire, U.K.: Macmillan/Palgrave, 2007).
26b Kürtler ve Devlet (Istanbul: Doğan Kitap, 2008)
27. Routledge Handbook of Modern Turkey, co-editor, other co-editor Sabri Sayari, in preparation/
1. `Some Notes on the Assumptions of the Theory of Administrative Reform in the Ottoman Turkish State'. Studies in Development/Gelisme Dergisi (Ankara). Fall 1971.
2.`Avrupa'da İdare Biliminde Bazı Gelişmeler' (Recent Developments in European Administrative Science'), Amme İdaresi Dergisi (Ankara) March 1973.
3. `Üniversitenin Islevleri ve Toplumsal Değişim'. (`Functions of University and Social Change'). Amme İdaresi Dergisi. March 1973.
4. `Osmanlı Türk Devletinde Bürokrasinin Siyasal Rolü: Karşılaştırmalı Kamu Yönetimi Açısından Bazı Gözlemler (`The Political Role of Bureaucracy in the Ottoman Turkish State: A ComparativePublicAdministration Perspective') Amme İdaresi Dergisi. June 1973.
The English version in Turkish Public Administration Annual (Istanbul). I (1974).
5. `Decision Making and the Information Flow Systems in the Middle East Technical University, Ankara, Turkey', in Planning the Development of Universities. Volume III. Victor G. Onushkin, ed. Paris: the UNESCO Press, 1974.
6. `Değişen Türkiye'de Bazı Geleneksel Üst Kademe Yöneticilerin Eğilimleri', (`Traditional Tendencies in the Upper Reaches of the Bureaucracy in a Changing Turkey') Amme İdaresi Dergisi. June 1974.
The English version in Turkish Public Administration Annual. 2 (1975).
7. 'Training for Potential Bureaucratic Elites of the Transitional Societies', in PublicAdministration Training for the Less Developed Countries. M.Ingle, ed. Syracuse: Syracuse University Press, 1974.
Reprinted in International Social Science Journal. March 1975. Abridged Version in Development Digest. November 1975.
8. 'Türk Kamu Bürokrasisi İncelemelerinde Başlıca Temalar ve Kavramsal Metodoloji' ('Basic Themes and Methodology in the Studies of Turkish Public Bureaucracy'), Boğaziçi Üniversitesi Dergisi, III (1975).
9. 'Political Modernization as Reflected in Bureaucratic Change: The Turkish Bureaucracy and a "Historical Bureaucratic Empire" Tradition', International Journal of Middle East Studies. October 1976.
10. 'Recalcitrance of the Turkish Public Bureaucracy to "Bourgeoise Politics": A Multi Factor Political Stratification Analysis', The Middle East Journal. Fall, 1976.
11.'Osmanlı Türk Kamu Bürokrasisinde "Modernlesme": Saf Patrimonyalizmden Patrimonyal Yasalliga'. ("Modernization" in the Ottoman Turkish Bureaucracy: From Pure Patrimonialism to Patrimonial Legality') in Yönetim Sosyolojisi. Ömer Bozkurt, ed. Ankara: Institute of Public Administration for Turkey and the Middle East Publication, 1977.
11. 'Negative Bureaucratic Politics in a Modernizing Context:The Turkish Case'. Journal of South Asian and Middle Eastern Studies. September October 1977.
The Turkish version in Armağan: Kanun i Esasinin 100. Yili. Ankara: Ankara University Publication, 1977.
12. 'Ülkü ve Kadro Dergilerinde Beliren Devletçilik Anlayışı'. ('The Notion of Etatism as Has Appeared in the Journals Ülkü and Kadro'). Boğaziçi Üniversitesi Dergisi. IV V (1976 1977). With Ülkü Canivar.
13. 'Türkiye'de Kamu Yönetimi Araştırma ve Eğitiminde Kavramsal Kuram ve Yöntem Sorunlari'. ('Problems of Conceptual Theory and Methodology in Turkish Public Administration Research and Training'). Amme İdaresi Dergisi. June 1979. With A.Ümit Berkman.
14. 'Patrimonialism in the Ottoman Turkish Public Bureaucracy'. Asian and African Studies. March 1979.
The Turkish version in Toplumcu Düşün. February 1979.
15. 'Latin Amerika Deneyimleri Isiginda Türkiye'de Asker Sivil İlişkisi'. ('Military Civilian Relations in Turkey in the Light of Latin American Experience'). İstanbul Üniversitesi İktisat Fakültesi Dergisi (1979). With Günay Göksu and Hakkı Öcal.
16. 'Administrative Studies in Turkey: A General Perspective', International Social Science Journal, June 1979.With A. Ümit Berkman.
17. `Modernleşme, Bürokrasi ve Yönetim Sosyolojisi: Bazı Yanıtlar ve Düşünceler'. (`Modernization, Bureaucracy and Some Thoughts'). Toplum ve Bilim. Winter 1979.
18. 'Türkiye'de Gecekondu Politikası Üzerine Bazı Düşünceler' ('Some Thoughts on Gecekondu Policy in Turkey'). Amme İdaresi Dergisi. December 1979.
19. 'Transformation of Charisma into a Political Paradigm: "Atatürkism" in Turkey', Journal of American Institute for the Study of Middle Eastern Civilization. Fall Winter, 1980 81.
The Turkish version in Prof. Dr. Bülent Nuri Esen'e Armagan. Ankara: Ankara Üniversity Publication, 1977.
20.'Recent Instability in Turkish Politics: End of a Monocentrist Polity? International Journal of Turkish Studies. Winter 1979 1980.
The Turkish version in Prof. Seha Meray'a Armagan. Ankara: Ankara University Publication, 1982.
21. 'Center and Periphery in the Ottoman Empire with Special Reference to the Nineteenth Century'. International Political_Science Review, January 1980.
The Turkish version in Toplum ve Bilim, Spring Summer 1980.
22. 'The Role of Bureaucracy and Regime Types: A Comparative Study ofTurkish and South Korean Higher Civil Servants', Administration and Society. August 1980. With C.L.Kim and S. T. Pai.
The Korean version in The Social Science Review (Seoul) November 1980.
The Turkish version in Prof. Dr. Ahmet Şükrü_Esmer'e Armağan. Ankara: Ankara University Publication, 1982.
23. 'Ekonomi ve Sosyal Gelişme Sürecinde Bürokrasi: Bir Tipoloji ve Bazı Düşünceler' ('Bureaucracy and Socio economic Development Process: A Typology and Some Notes') Amme Idaresi Dergisi. September 1980.
24. 'Critical Factors Concerning Housing Policy in a Squatter Area in Istanbul, Turkey', in The Residential Circumstances of the Urban Poor: An Overview of Housing and Its Improvement in Developing Countries. United Nations, ed. New York: Praeger, 1981.
25. 'Islam, Polity and Society in Turkey: A Middle Eastern Perspective', The Middle East Journal. Summer 1981.
Reprinted in Traditions in Contact and Change. P. Spater and D.Wiebe, eds. Ontario: Wilfried University Press, 1983.
The Turkish version in Türk Siyasal Hayatının Gelişimi, Ersin Kalaycıoğlu and A.Yaşar Sarıbay, eds. Istanbul : Beta Yayıncılık, 1986.
26. 'Development Administration: An Approach Model', Res Publica (Belgian Journal of Political Science), XXIII, 4 (1981). With A.Ümit Berkman.
27. 'A Methodological Note on Bureaucratic Modernization: Prevalent Attitudes of the Turkish Civil Servants', International Review of Modern Sociology. January June, 1982.
28. 'Urban Migrants and Their Plight: Dynamics of Service Procurement in a Squatter Area', in Sex Roles, Family and Communityin Turkey: Current Perspectives. Çiğdem Kağıtçıbaşı, ed. Bloomington, Indiana: Indiana University Turkish Studies, 1982.
29. 'A Research Note on Administration Research and Training: The Turkish Case', Canadian Journal of Development Studies, III, 1(1982). With A.Ümit Berkman.
30. 'Organizational Socialization as Reality Testing: The Case of Turkish Higher Civil Servants', International Journal of Political Education. 6 (1983). With Ersin Kalaycıoğlu.
31. 'The State, Politics and Military in Turkey', Comparative_Politics, 16 1983: 17 33. With Frank Tachau.
32. 'Atatürk'de Devlet Düşüncesi' (Atatürk's Notion of the State') in Çağdaş Düşüncenin İşığında Atatürk. İstanbul: Nejat Eczacıbaşı Vakfı, 1983.
33. 'Bürokrasi' ('Bureaucracy'), Cumhuriyet Dönemi Türkiye_Ansiklopedisi. 12 December 1983.
34. 'Atatürk and the Public Bureaucracy' in Atatürk and the Modernization of Turkey. Jacob Landau, ed. Boulder, Colorado: Westview Press, 1984.
35. 'Bureaucrats, Politicians and Officers in Turkey: Dilemmas of a New Political Paradigm', in Modern Turkey: Continuity and Change. Ahmet Evin, ed. Hamburg: Deutsche Orient Institution, 1984.
36. 'Islam, Politics and Change in the Middle East', in Islam and Politics in the Modern Middle East. Metin Heper and Raphael Israeli, eds. London and Sydney: Croom Helm, 1984.
37. 'A Weltanschauung turned Partial Ideology and Normative Ethics: "Atatürkism" in Turkey', Orient (German Journal of Politics and Economics of the Middle East), I (1984).
40. 'The Turkish Nationalism and the West', European Forum, I (1984).
41. '19.Yüzyılda Osmanlı Bürokrasisi', ('The Nineteenth Century Ottoman Bureaucracy') Tanzimat'tan Cumhuriyete Türkiye Ansiklopedisi, fascicles 12 and 13, August 1985.
42. 'The State and Public Bureaucracies: A Comparative and Historical Perspective', Comparative Studies in Society_and History, 27 (1985): 86 110.
43. 'Conference Report on State and Society in Recent Turkish Politics, 19 21 September 1985', Orient (German Journal of for Politics and Economics of the Middle East) 4(1985). With Ahmet Evin.
44. 'Local Government in Turkey: An Overview with Special Reference to the Municipalities', in Dilemmas of Decentralization: Municipal Government in Turkey. Metin Heper, Bonn: Friedrich Ebert Stiftung, 1986.
45. 'Directions for Reform', in Ibid..
46. 'Türkiye'de Devlet, Demokrasi Geleneği ve Silahlı Kuvvetler', ('The State, Democratic Tradition and the Armed Forces in Turkey') in Türkiye'nin Savunması. Ankara: Foreign Policy Institute Publication,1987
47. `Introduction', in Democracy and Local Government: Istanbul in the1980s (Walkington, England: The Eothen Press, 1987)
48. ‘Municipal Government in Istanbul: A Grassroots Perspective', in Ibid.
49. "Conclusions" in Ibid.
50. 'Türkiye'de Yerel Yönetimlerde Yerinden Yönetim Sorunu ve Bazı Öneriler' ('The Issue of Decentralization in Turkish Local Government and Some Suggestions') İdare Hukuku ve İdari Bilimler Dergisi, 6 (1987):171 180.
51. 'Some Notes on State, Society and Islam in Turkey', Studies on Turkish Arab Relations (Istanbul), II (1987).
52. 'The State, Military and Democracy in Turkey', Jerusalem Journal of International Relations, 9 (1987): 52 64.
53. 'Introduction', in The State and Public Bureaucracies: A Comparative Perspective, Metin Heper, ed. New York, Westport, Connecticut, London: Greenwood Press, 1987.
54. 'The State, Democracy and Bureaucracy in Turkey', in Ibid.
55. 'Conclusions' in Ibid.
56. 'State and Society in the Turkish Political Experience', in The State, Military and Democracy: Turkey in the 1980s. Metin Heper and Ahmet Evin, eds. Berlin and New York: de Gruyter, 1988.
57. 'Conclusions', in Ibid.
58. 'The State and Politics in Turkey," The Turkish Studies Association Bulletin 12 (September 1988): 96 102.
59. "Introduction" in Local Government in Turkey. Governing Greater_Istanbul, M. Heper, ed. London and New York: Routledge, 1989: 1 11.
60. "Conclusion," in Ibid., 73 85.
61. `The Motherland Party Governments and Bureaucracy in Turkey, 1983 88' Governance. An International Journal of Policy and_Administration, 2 (1989): 457 468.
62. "Re Transition to Democracy in Turkey, 1983 1988," (Conference Report). Orient (German Journal of Politics and Economics), (With Ahmet Evin). 30 (1989): 29 35
63. "Politics of Central versus Local Government in Turkey" in Local_Administration and Center Local Relations in Egypt, Takeji Ino, ed. Tokyo: Institute of Developing Economies, 1989, pp. 249 79.
64. "The State, Political Party and Society in post 1983 Turkey," Government and Opposition, 25(1990): 321 33.
65. "The Executive in the Third Turkish Republic, 1982 1989," Governance. An International Journal of Policy and Administration, 3(1990): 299 319.
66. `Turkey', in Public Administration in the Third World. An_International Handbook. V. Subramaniam, ed. New York: Greenwood Press, 1990, pp. 205 25.
67. `Türk Demokrasisinin Dünü, Bugünü ve Yarını', Türkiye Günlüğü (Ankara), no. 11 (1990): 126 9.
68. `The State and Religion in the Ottoman Turkish Polity: A Theoretical Perspective, Revue Maghrabeine Arabe, 17(1990): 87 93.
69. ‘The State and Debureaucratization: The Turkish Case,’ International Social Science Journal, 126 (1990): 605 615
70. `The State and Bureaucracy: The Turkish Case in Historical Perspective, in Handbook of Comparative and Development_Administration, A. Farazmand, ed. New York: Marcel Dekker, 1990, pp. 677 86.
71. `Osmanlı'da Devlet Geleneği', Türkiye Günlüğü, no. 13 (1990): 139 50.
72. `Türkiye'de Demokrasinin Dünü, Bugünü ve Yarını: Bazı Eleştiriler ve Yanıtlar', Ibid.: 100 3.
73. ‘Turkish Democracy Reconsidered: Illusion Breeding Disillusion?’ in Institutional Aspects of the Economic_Integration of Turkey into the European Community. Heiko Körner and Rasul Shams, eds. Hamburg: HWWA Publication Series, 1991, pp. 17 46.
74. `Transitions to Democracy Reconsidered: A Historical Perspective,' in Comparative Political Dynamics: Global_Research Perspectives Dankwart A. Rustow and Kenneth Paul Erickson, eds., New York: Harper Collins, 1991, pp. 192 210.
75. `Local Government in Turkey with Special Reference to Metropolitan Municipalities’, in Local Government and Urban Affairs in_International Perspective, Joachim Jens Hesse, ed. Baden and Baden, West Germany: Nomos, 1991, pp. 579 600.
76. `Introduction', in Political Parties and Democracy in Turkey, Metin Heper and Jacob Landau, eds. London and New York: I.B.Tauris, 1991.
77. `Mayors and Party Elites in post 1983 Turkey: Dynamics of Intergovernmental Relations', in Perspectives in the Center Local Relations. Political Dynamics in the Middle East, Takeji Ino, ed. Tokyo: Institute of Developing Economies, 1991, pp. 144 204.
78. `The State and Interest Groups with Special Reference to Turkey', in Strong State and Economic Interest Groups: The_Post 1980 Turkish Experience, Metin Heper, ed. Berlin and New York: Walter de Gruyter, 1991, p. 2 22.
79. `Interest Group Politics in post 1980 Turkey: Lingering Monism', in ibid., pp. 154 167.
80. `The State, Religion and Pluralism: The Turkish Case in Comparative Perspective', British Journal of Middle Eastern _Studies, 1 (1991): 38 51.
81. `Democracy: a Panacea for the Lingering Instability in the Middle East?', Studies on Turkish Arab Relations (Istanbul), 6 (1991): 105 108.
82. `Turkey and the West: Encounters, Images and Praxis (conference report), Orient, 32(1991): 185 190. Co author Ahmet Evin.
83. `Extremely "Strong State" and Democracy: Turkey in Comparative and Historical Perspective', in Democracy and Modernity, S.N. Eisenstadt, ed. Leiden: Brill, 1992, pp. 142 169.
84. `Consolidating Turkish Democracy', Journal of Democracy, 3 (1992):105 117.
85. `Strong State as a Problem for the Consolidation of Democracy: Turkey and Germany Compared', Comparative Political Studies, 25 (1992): 169 194.
86. `Türkiye'de Çıkar Grubu Devlet İlişkisi' Görüş (Istanbul), no 4 (1992): 52 54.
87. ‘İkinci Cumhuriyet" Tartışmaları Üzerine.’ Türkiye Günlüğü, (Ankara), no. 20 (1992): 31 35.
88. `Türkiye'de Siyasal Ahlakın Boyutları', in Siyasal Ahlak ve Siyasal Ahlaksızlık, by Türker Alkan and Contributors. Ankara: Bilgi Yayınevi, 1993.
89. `Introduction: Political Culture as a Dimension of Compatibility”, in Turkey and the West: Changing Cultural Identities, Metin Heper, Ayşe Öncü and Heinz Kramer, eds. London and New York: I. B. Tauris, Publishers, 1993.
90. `Bureaucrats : Persistent Elitists”, in ibid.
91. `Transitions to Democracy in Turkey: Towards a New Pattern', in Politics in the Third Turkish Republic, Metin Heper and Ahmet Evin, eds., Boulder Colorado: Westview Press, 1994.
92. `Turgut Özal's Presidency: Crisis and Glimmerings of Consensus' in ibid.
93. `Trials and Tribulations of Democracy in the Third Turkish Republic', in ibid.
94. `"Kemalizm" ve Demokrasi', Türkiye Günlüğü (Ankara), no. 28 (1994): 37 39.
95. `Yeni Anayasa Arayışları Üzerine Düşünceler", Türkiye Günlüğü (Ankara), no. 29 (1994): 226 231.
96. `Bureaucracy in the Ottoman Turkish Polity', in Handbook of_Bureaucracy, A. Farazmand, ed. New York: Marcel Dekker, 1994.
97. ‘The Press and the Consolidation of Democracy in Turkey,’ Middle Eastern Studies, Vol 32, No.2 (1996): 109-123. With Tanel Demirel.
98. ‘The Military in the Third Turkish Republic,’ Armed Forces and_Society, Vol. 22, No. 4 (1996): 619-642. With Aylin Guney.
99. ‘Dilemmas of Parliamentarism with a Strong Presidency: The Post-1980 Turkish Experience,’ Political Science Quarterly, vol. 111, no. 3 (Fall 1996): 483-503. With Menderes Çınar.
100. ‘Islam and Democracy in Turkey: Toward a Reconciliation?’ Middle East Journal, vol. 51 (January 1997): 32-45
101. ‘Urbanization and Metropolitan Municipal Politics in Turkey’, in Population, Poverty and Politics: Middle East Cities in_Crisis, Michael E. Bonine, ed. Miami: University Press of Florida, 1997.
102. ‘Türkiye’de Unutulan Birey ve Tebaa,” in 75 Yılda Tebaa’dan Yurttaşa Doğru, Artun Ünsal, ed. Istanbul: Türkiye Ekonomik ve Toplumsal Tarih Vakfi, 1998, 43-48.
103. ‘Is Legal-Rational Bureaucracy a Pre-Requisite for Rational-Productive Bureaucracy?: The Case of Turkey,’ Administration and Society, vol. 80, no. 2 (May 1998), With Selçuk Sancar.
104. ‘Double-Faced State: Political Patronage and the Consolidation of Democracy in Turkey,” Middle Eastern Studies, vol. 34, no. 4 (October 1998): 259-277. With Fuat Keyman.
Reprinted in The Politics of Modern Turkey: Critical Issues in Modern Politics. Volume IV. Major Issues and Themes in Contemporary Turkish Politics Ali Çarkoğlu and William Hale, eds. (London and New York: Routledge, 2008), pp. 325-343.
105. ‘”Başkalaşmadan” Değişen Milliyetçi Hareket Partisi’, Türkiye Günlüğü, no. 55 (March-April 1999): 12-22.
106. ‘Strong State and Bureaucrat-Politician Relationship: The Turkish Case,’ European Studies Journal, Vol. XVII, No. 1 (Spring 2000): 67-96.
107. ‘Military and the Consolidation of Democracy: The Turkish Case,’ Armed Forces and Society, Vol. 26, No. 4, (2000): 625-647. With Aylin Güney
108. ‘The Ottoman Legacy and Turkish Democracy," Journal of International Affairs, 54 (Fall 2000): 63-82.
109. ‘Political Studies in Turkey,’ Turkish Studies (London), Vol. 1, No. 2 (Autumn 2000): 125-134.
110. ‘Political Dynamics and Constitutional Developments: Turkey Compared with Greece,’ in 150 years of Parliamentary Life in Greece, G. Kasiamatis, ed. (Athens, Greece: P.N. Sakkoulas, 2000), pp. 247-252.
111. ‘The State and Bureaucracy: The Turkish Case in Historical Perspective,’ in Handbook of Comparative and Development Administration, Second Edition, Revised and Expanded (New York: Marcel Dekker, 2001), pp 1019- 1028.
112. ’Politics of Coalition Government in Turkey, 1961-1999,’ International Journal of Turkish Studies , vol. 7, nos. 1 and 2 (Spring 2001): 68-89. With Filiz Başkan.
113. ‘Turkey: Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow,’ Journal of South European and Black Sea Studies, no. 4 (November 2001): 1-19.
114. ‘İsmet İnönü: Rationalist Democrat,’ in Political Leaders and Democracy in Turkey, ed. by. Metin Heper and Sabri Sayarı (Lanham, MD: Lexington Books, 2002.
115 ‘Conclusion,’ in ibid.
116. ‘The Consolidation Democracy versus Democratisation in Turkey,’ Turkish Studies, vol. 3, no. 1 (2002). Also in Political Parties in Turkey, Barry Rubin and Metin Heper, eds. London: Frank Cass, 2002.
117. ‘Political Dynamics and Administrative Reform in Turkey’, in Political Dynamics and Administrative Reform, A. Farazmand, ed. Wesport, Connecticut and London: Praeger, 2002. With Ümit A. Berkman.
118. ‘İnönü’, Encyclopedia of Islam, new edition, December 2003.
119. ‘Islam, Modernity, and Democracy in Contemporary Turkey: The Case of Recep Tayyip Erdoğan,’ The Muslim World 93, no. 2 (April 2003): 157-85. With Şule Toktaş.
120. ‘The Victory of the Justice and Development Party in Turkey’, Mediterranean Politics 8, no 1 (Spring 2003): 127-34.
121. ‘Civil-Military Relations, Political Islam, and Security: The Turkish Case’, in Civil Military Relations, Nation-Building, and National Identity: Comparative Perspectives, Constantine P. Danopoulos, Dhirendra Vajpeyi, and Amir Bar-Or, eds. Westport, Connecticut and London: Praeger, 2004.
122. ‘The European Union, and the Turkish Military and Democracy ’, Southeast European Politics and Society 10, no. (April 2005): 33-44.
123a.‘The Justice and Development Party Government and the Military in Turkey’, Turkish Studies 6, no. 2 (June 2005): 215-231.
123b. Reprinted in, Religion and Politics in Turkey, Ali Çarkoğlu and Barry Rubin, eds. (London and New York: Routledge, 2006), pp. 73-84.
123c. Reprinted in, The Politics of Modern Turkey: Critical Issues in Modern Politics. Volume IV. Major Issues and Themes in Contemporary Turkish Politics. Ali Çarkoğlu and William Hale, eds. (London and New York: Routledge, 2008), pp. 356-374.
124. ‘Civil-Military Relations in Israel and Turkey’, Journal of Political and Military Sociology, 33, no.2 (2005), 231-248.. With Joshua R. Itzkowitz-Shifrinson.
125. ‘Republic of Turkey’ in Governments of the World: A Global Guide to Citizens’ Rights and Responsibilities, Vol. 4, Popular Sovereignty to Zimbabwe, pp. 203-209. C. Neal Tate , ed. (Detroit, MI: MacMillan Reference USA, 2006).
126. ‘The Conservative-Democratic Government by Pious People: The Justice and Development Party in Turkey’ in Blackwell Companion to Contemporary Islamic Thought, Ibrahim M Abu-Rabi, ed. Oxford and New York: Blackwell, 2006.
127. ‘Turkey “Between East and West”’, in The Convergence of Civilizations: Constructing a Mediterranean Region , Emmanuel Adler, Beverly Crawford, Federica Bichi, and Raffaella Del Sarto, eds. Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 2006.
128. ‘Devlet Bahçeli and “Far Right” Politics’ in Turkey’, Middle Eastern Studies, Vol. 42, no. 6 (November 2006): 873-888. With Başak İnce.
129. ‘Modernization and Political Transformation: The Turkish Experience’, in Current Transformations and their Potential Role in Realizing Change in the Arab World (Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates: The Eirates Center for Starategic Studies and Research, 2007), pp. 173-197.
130. ‘The Mainstream Political Parties in Republican Turkey, 1923-1999”, Philologiae Turcicae Fundamenta, Vol. 5: The History of the Ottoman Empire and Turkey in the Twentieth Century, Erik Jan Zürcher, ed., 2008.
131. ‘Bureaucracy in the Ottoman-Turkish Polity’, in Handbook of Bureaucracy, Second Enlarged Edition. Ali Frazmand, ed. (New York: Marcel Dekker, 2009). With Ümit Berkman, forthcoming.
132. ‘Turkey’s Secular/Islamic Conundrum’ Encyclopedia Britannica 2009 Supplement, 2009, pp. 190-191
133. ‘Some Notes on Religious Communal Pressure (“Mahalle Baskısı”) Debate in Turkey’, Comparative Studies of South Asia, Africa and Middle East, 29, no. 3 (2009): 413-422..
134. ‘İsmet İnönü’, Atatürk Ansiklopedisi, forthcoming.
135. ‘Kemalism’, in Routledge Handbook of Modern Turkey, Metin Heper and Sabri Sayari, eds., in preparation.
136. ‘Civil-Military Relations in in Turkey: Toward a Liberal Model?’ Turkish Studies, special issue, guest editor Metin Heper, in preparation.