Your application is considered complete and ready for review when the following are submitted:
- All supplemental materials
- Proof of a relevant Bachelor’s degree (recognized by the Council of Higher Education), preferably in English Language and Literature, American Language and Literature, Linguistics, Translation or related.
- A minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.5/4.00 (or equivalent)
- Transcript(s): Transcript(s) should be uploaded through online application process; a scanned copy is sufficient for initial review.
- Language proficiency (for non-native speakers of English): One of the following official English test scores must be submitted: TOEFL (IBT): 87, IELTS (Academic-IDP Centre): 6.5 (at least 5.5 in each section), Bilkent PAE Exam: C. TOEFL, IELTS or Bilkent Proficiency Exam (PAE) scores cannot be more than two years old during registration.
- One of the following exam results:
- ALES: Turkish applicants must submit an ALES score (verbal) of 60 or above (This test score may be submitted after the deadline but must be valid by the beginning of the term registered ).
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE): International applicants must submit official verbal, quantitative and analytic writing scores of the Graduate Record Exam (a combined new GRE score of 295, and 3.5 in analytical writing)
Selection process is composed of several phases.
- In the first phase all applications are screened to check if the applicants meet the minimum academic threshold as indicated in the entry requirements.
- The ones who are shortlisted progress to the next phase, which includes a thorough review of the information, and supplemental materials including personal statement, provided by the applicants.
- This phase may also include an interview* process (i.e. conversation) and/or written examination, should it be deemed necessary. Applicants may be required to attend an interview* (i.e. conversation) which could be conducted online or face-to-face to clarify, any supporting documents, and/or to collect more information about a candidate’s educational and academic background, work experience and/or personal statement.
- Once review of the application file is completed, the candidates concerned are notified.
- The final phase includes the official approval of the university.
- All notifications are sent by e-mail.
- Fall semester admission decisions are sent by mid-July
- Spring semester admission decisions are sent by mid-January
For more information: https://w3.bilkent.edu.tr/bilkent/gradstudents/teaching-english-as-a-foreign-language